Slaw recipes don't have to involve cabbage. And slaw also doesn't have to involve sugar. An obvious substitution to make slaw lower in carbohydrates is to swap the sugar in the recipe for monk fruit. The less-obvious substitution for slaw are other vegetables, but plenty of them work well together.
This recipe features broccoli—it works really well as the base because you have the medium chunks but also the filler of the tiny broccoli buds...or are those broccoli hairs? (We actually have no idea what those are called...but we love 'em!)
The key to a good slaw recipe is how well the flavors meld (a fancy term for opening and combining) over a few hours. A wet mixture softens most ingredients, opening their walls to allow flavors to ebb and flow. The sweetness of monk fruit is allowed to penetrate the broccoli and make it more neutral. The tart attributes of apple cider vinegar do the same, but adds the punch to each bite of slaw. Onions are also notorious for taking on the flavors around it, further enhancing their already-signature flavor.
Ingredients for Low-Carb Broccoli Slaw
Instructions for Low-Carb Broccoli Slaw
1. Instructions for Low-Carb Broccoli Slaw
Cut your broccoli heads down a bit so that they fit easily into your food processor.
2. In a food processor, lightly pulse the broccoli until in small-ish pieces. Do this in smaller batches to get consistency in the size of the broccoli, dumping each processed batch into your large mixing bowl.
3. Next, quarter your onion and use the food processor to dice. Same as the broccoli, you want small-ish pieces, but not minced onion. Add processed onion to your large mixing bowl.
4. Add your sweetener and mayonnaise to your bowl of broccoli and onion, tossing until well combined.
5. For best results, let this mixture meld in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Mix in your preferred nuts just before serving.
Did you try this dry rub recipe? We'd love to hear how it went! Comment below or tag us with photos on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok, or Twitter.
Hope this guide was useful for you!
Thanks for reading :)
Your LAKANTO team.