Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Flan is a sweetened, light and creamy egg custard dessert that melts in your mouth with every luscious bite. It’s a delicious and delicate dessert often made for special occasions but, is simple to make. This Low-Carb version of Classic Flan dessert, Sweetened with Monkfruit Sweetener instead of sugar, will be one you will make over and over again.
1/8 cup water
½ cup Lakanto Golden
1 tbsp unsalted butter
¼ cup Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener
1 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream or milk of choice
1 cup water
4-5 drops Liquid Extract, Vanilla, or 2 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs, large
Pinch of salt
Prepare the caramel syrup:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a 9”x13” baking dish with a few inches of water. Place a a 2 quart round baking dish or 9” deep dish pie pan in it.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and Golden Sweetener and whisk together until the sweetener is dissolved. Add the butter to the pan and continue to cook and whisk the mixture for 5-8 minutes until a light caramel syrup emerges. Do not overcook or let it burn.
- Once the syrup is formed, pour the mixture into the bottom of the a 2 quart round baking dish or 9” deep dish pie pan, or 4 ramekins. Let it stand for at least ten minutes.
Prepare the custard:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and water to a boil, then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and the ¼ cup of Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener.
- To temper the eggs, add 1 cup of the warm cream mixture into the egg mixture while stirring continuously. Then, return everything to the saucepan and mix well.
- Stir in the Vanilla Extract or vanilla extract then pour over the caramelized syrup in the prepared baking dish.
- Place both baking dishes in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes until the center is set. The custard will still wiggle a bit. Remove the smaller dish with the flan from the water bath and set it on a wire rack to cool for about an hour. After an hour place in the refrigerator to chill completely.
- Once fully chilled, serve by running a knife along the edge of the baking dish to release the sides. Then invert in onto a serving plate.
Tips for making the best Low Carb Flan:
Do not overbake. This dessert will continue to cook after it comes out of the oven and while it cools.
Use a knife to cut around the edges of the baking dish for easy removal on a plate. If using ramekins, refrigerate and serve right from the ramekin.
Serve this Flan with our Sugar-Free Whipped Cream for the ultimate dessert
Store in the refrigerator for up to one week
Freeze in well covered container for up to two months. Thaw in refrigerator completely before serving.
Thank you so much for reading!
For more recipes you can check our site lakanto.ca