By Chef Vanessa Musi
These brownies are chewy, gooey, and you would never imagine they are keto-friendly and dairy-free! Plus the topping options are endless! Make sure you don’t over bake them. I use two types of cocoa for best results and a depth of flavor and better texture. For best results, use a food scale.
- 1 cup (260 g) almond butter (must be smooth)
- 83 g (1/2 cup - 2 Tbsp) Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (at high altitude use 1⁄4 tsp)
- 15 g (⅛ cup) red cocoa or natural cocoa
- 15 g (⅛ cup) Dutch process cocoa
- 1/8 cup (14 g) almond flour
- 1/3 cup (60 g) 75% chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 7” or 8” square brownie pan, or a 9” x 6” eighth sheet pan. Line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
3. In a medium large bowl, mix almond butter, Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener, vanilla, and egg with a large whisk.
4. Add water and mix until combined.
5. Sift and add cocoas, almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Batter will be thick.
6. Mix in half of the chocolate and reserve the rest to sprinkle on top.
7. Put the batter in the prepared pan. Level the batter with an offset spatula and sprinkle the rest of the chocolate and pecans or walnuts if desired.
8. Bake for approximately 22 minutes. These brownies are a bit tricky to gauge.
9. the exact time and the baking time depends on your oven and the pan used. Be careful not to overbake, as the brownies will be dry and cakey. Test the brownies during baking by inserting a toothpick. It should come out with very moist crumbs (not wet or dry). They will continue to cook with the residual heat when you take the pan out of the oven. Ideally, they should be moist and as they cool set up with a chewy consistency. If you under-bake them, just put them back in the pan and bake them a bit longer.
10. Cool for several hours so that they set well and cut into 9 pieces.
11. These keep well for about 3 days at room temperature or freeze for a longer shelf life.
For more tips on how and when to use Lakanto sweeteners, check out our Baking Guide
Your Lakanto team!